Thursday, January 19, 2006

Haiku-a-Day

A foiled trip to the grocery store on June 6, 2005 inspired a poem "No Food for You" and a self-imposed challenge to write a Haiku every night before I go to sleep. And really, I have been more likely to write about a day more than the seventeen required syllables because of this exercise. Here are the January editions, with the intention to continue posting the assignment.

01/01/06
Hot tea. Christmas lights,
the dream of Could Tomorrow.
True words. Happiness.

01/02/06 I don't have tomorrow off
A day spent with books,
machines. Teach me not to hate
the coffee grinder.

01/03/06
What is (exactly)
that It I waste, asks the girl
asleep by seven.

01/04/06 (10:20pm)
"I love you" in crayon,
her construction paper world.
Pink stickers, black string.

01/05/06 For L. and M., Eph 3, Ps 127, Ps 47
Wedding words framed in
glass, frozen before the vows,
your before your birth.

01/06/06 Camp Mack
Familiar world shrunk,
fit into a child's shoe.
Set sail for far shores.

01/07/06 The excuse for no lines almost works itself
Leslie's Michigan
wedding, late night returning
to Milford and camp.

01/08/06 The wind is mute, its lovers sing
My wall stands against
southwest wind. A song of bricks,
window panes, and trees.

01/09/06
Dropping from the sky,
more truth like green glass beads, hard
beauty in my hand.

01/10/06
When you look at me
[find my tower, rescue me]
I'm. There. To be. Seen.

01/11/06 someday I'll marvel at my girlsih figure
Dinner: potato
chips, one McDonald's Coke, and
one Rice Krispy Treat.

01/12/06 Wing Shadows
Bring me words of
that which is hidden, not yet
sight, sound, but alive.

01/13/06 Krista's
Car-singing Abba
wet January weddings
toast and step and laugh.

01/14/03
Take a spin in my
Cincinnatti; crest and curve,
your heart livin' high.

01/15/06
Aren't I beautiful?
Did you see me? Wait. Here's my
better side. Call me.

01/16/06 Too late to send cards?
Christmas finds its way
back in closets, cancelled stamps,
snowmen hide in shelves.

01/17/06 Consuming January
Snow like crumbs nothing
new. Blanket, sugar, frosting.
I'll taste it again.

01/18/06 Swept off my feet by a 32" Superman
I'll run at you, full
(hugs are meant for absorbency)
speed, caped, shoes untied.

2 Comments:

At 2:16 PM, Blogger Bethany K. Warner said...

I love the girlish figure one. Just a thought, maybe instead of posting them all, you should post the one you like best from the week/month/century, etc.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Denise said...

Yeah, they're not all blog-worthy. But it makes it easy to always have new stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home