Thursday, January 26, 2006

What transcends

Have you heard anyone say, "Time is all we really have," "Today is all we have"? Lest we get into a debate of what "have" means, suffice to say deep down we all have the feeling that every thing we see and experience will same day pass by to make way for future generations.

But what if we were truly made to transcend time?

Sense memory - a single whiff of a crayon box and I'm back rummaging through the desk at my grandparents' farm, reading the names of my cousins scrawled in purple and green. Story - the children from the Narnia Chronicles never do age, because I can always turn back the page and see them again donning fur coats (if fiction is too easy of an example, apply this to history - the Egyptians, Socrates, Lewis & Clark all live again when we encounter a piece of them). Birthdays - if it were true that I felt older this February than last, it seems I should be able to feel my age from month differ from today, or last week, or yesterday, or one hour ago. Instead I have been assigned a number as a means to count myself. Sleep - a moment drags as I stare at it, but let me sleep and I may be aware of only a few seconds and not hours passing.

Of course all these have individual disciplines to study why we experience them . But I prefer to by awed by our ability to live outside of the clock we have made for ourselves. Let me act sillier than my age and dwell for a day in a sunset. Let me believe I have seen my eternity in a water droplet and all mankind in a line of poetry.

We are meant for something beyond this time, this body and this world. This moment is the beginning of our understanding of the One who put it all in motion - who watches us even know to see if we realize the gift we have been given.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home