Monday, February 06, 2006

Shine the Snow

Saturday morning's window made me breathe deep - to breathe like a child in Narnia. Snow, like what we hadn't seen for weeks stood on porch, ground, roof, and bench. The secrets the trees had been hiding for weeks were displayed brazenly in heavy, reverse outlines. As if they remembered what standing on February ground felt like. Pine trees with new pride in their full skirts and maples reassured of the beauty of their nakedness, all accentuated by a world wiped clean of midwinter dirt.

And with the white-on-white speckled sky, the purity of Christmas expectation woke from the coma this past actual season seemed to induce. It felt right to be standing in wet snow, looking for stars and the nativity.

Then a sunshine today warms me back to Easter's promise.

Lest I forget the magic in Indiana weather.

5 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, Blogger Bethany K. Warner said...

umm... should I tell you that the line about remembering how to stand on February ground made me think of River from Firefly and her line about the cows seeing sky again and remembering what they were? I wasn't sure you'd want to be compared to the crazy girl.

 
At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the other hand, the saguaro cactus sometimes lives for over two hundred years, and might not sprout its characteristic arms until it's 75 years old.

This was intended to be a comparison of Arizona weather to Indiana weather, but it's turning into an accidental rebuttal of your "By the Stream" mission statement. Know what? Forget I said anything. Crap. Um... La la la...

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Denise said...

Here I write because something struck my soul as beautiful, and my friends comment with cows and cacti.

Though I do not consider it in opposition to the mission statement, as the non-deciduous version of the metaphor could refer (instead of confer, that is) to the inner supply of "water" available to a cactus despite the surroundings.

And as for that moment in Firefly, should I tell you that it is actually one of my favorites and that I consider that to be one of River's very lucid statements?

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Denise said...

Oh. The "Shine" part of the title probably got you going in that direction in the first place.

Ah! I have been influenced!

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Bethany K. Warner said...

Yeah, ok. I like that part too with River and the cows.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home