Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Take my inhibition, please

I've finally conquered a small portion of my fear of breaking into the arts community here in Bloomington. Last Friday, I packed up a few poems, called a friend to force me to go, and downed a Steak-n-Shake sippable sundae before heading to an open-mic poetry night at a local cafe. Several published poets read first. I had forgotten how much I love to hear people read. Almost soothed me into a kind sleepiness before nerves would have kicked in.

So here's one that I ended up reading...

Holiness

What happens to a soul
after it detects holiness in a peeled egg?
In grinding tomorrow's coffee? Chopping vegetables,
stacking soap suds and clean dishes?
An ordinary soul dancing in stocking feet
through the drips
on the kitchen floor.

How can it possibly be prepared - how
could it even survive -
the Revealing to Come?

Try to understand,
no moment is unsacred.
Lighting a match
will echo into eternity. Now
stare into the flame.
The match burns shorter as eternity arrives.
Take care not to burn your fingertips.

3 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it! I like it a lot! I like it a heck of a lot!

And on a semi-related note, thank you for having a blog which I could respond to which would cause Bethany to email me which would cause me to find her blog which would cause me to find ficmusings.blogspot.com which would lead to me having a flash fiction printed online. :)

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Denise said...

Here's to the silver thread of life!

 
At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I do not know if you will read this now; since this entry is several days old. However, this is the place for my comment. I "need" to enter it. I think it is truly amazing you found the courage to conquer a small portion of your fears. I am trying to slowly conquer some of my fears; I just have trouble knowing how or where to begin. I am currently reading a book dealing with this. Actually, this entry could kind of be a start. I am "speaking up" and expressing my own opinion/comment.

P.S. I love Steak 'n Shake sippable sundaes (Turtle Caramel Nut)! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home