Thursday, February 09, 2006

Inspired to do Math

First of all, I have to say I am so impressed with those of you who keep up with blogs everyday. Today (errr, this week), a blog from the WordNerd has inspired me to number crunch. Citing 250 words a day for a year, the WN calculates an annual linguistic out-put of 90,000-plus words. And I pondered, what would happen if I took that syllabically?

My Haiku-A-Day project began last summer, meaning an 5+7+5 written syllables a day. Thirteen x 365 = 4,745. Barley as many syllables as the average woman uses during her lunch break.

If nothing else, this little exercise sent me to Roget's Thesaurus to find another word for the noun "word" to use in sentence #3. Funny to me that we don't have another way to express that thing that is a single written word.

2 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Blogger Bethany K. Warner said...

Can't haikus also be written on a 7+9+7 scheme?

You'd get almost 8,400 syllables a year if you did it that way.

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Math is hard.

-brother

 

Post a Comment

<< Home