Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I'm back and this is new, so be nice

I know I've been gone so long. The past couple weeks have been some of the most trying and most rewarding - isn't that how it goes??

So my present is a new new new piece that I just wrote last week at the Bloomington Women's Writing Center. I read it for them, but otherwise it is uncritiqued and I welcome your comments.

Anesthesia, or Anticipating Holes Where Once was Wisdom (Teeth)

One hundred. Ninety-nine. I practice
deep belly breaths and believing
this sleep is the same as last night’s.
Just a few less teeth when I awake.

Ninety-six. Ninety-five. The room is so
small, my heart-beat echoes off
the far wall. A mauve-framed country
scene, a girl picks blue flowers. Ninety-one,

ninety, eighty-nine
. My hair relaxes into
the smooth, tan lap of the chair. I try to keep my arms
from floating away. Eighty-five, eighty four, my mother’s
shadow is next to me, I think it’s singing with the musak.

eighty my toes dance
to meet me later seventy nine
seventy ei-
the blue picking
flower girl looks at my soul –ght
seventy
my eyes seven sink in seven
for a closer in
ty spect
sev
ion
en

4 Comments:

At 5:30 PM, Blogger Bethany K. Warner said...

I think it's a great start.
Couple questions? Why skip numbers? Did it really take you to 77? so you remember? Is the repetition of 77 intentional or accidental?
I guess I'm wondering too if there should be a bigger connection to wisdom. Do the teeth make you wise? Do you feel wiser now that they are gone?

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Denise said...

Another seven wsa originally accidental, but thought it fit later, like word elipses (...) More wisdom language is needed.

 
At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I am going to post another comment since my earlier one on "Inhibitions". I like this and I can relate to what you were feeling while waiting for the anesthesia to fully take effect. I have had my wisdom teeth out, and know all of the various thoughts that go through your mind as your fading. I like how you count down numbers to show the progress of the anesthesia working. Do you think the picture of the girl picking blue wildflowers might be a reason why you want to finish your cross stitch of girl picking wildflowers? Maybe the picture in the dentist office connected with your memory of the cross stitch from high school in your unconscious mind.

I like to think having your wisdom teeth removed makes you wiser. :-)

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Denise said...

I thought the same thing about the crossstitch/girl in the picture connection... just what's in my mind's eye.

Wisdom... if wisdom comes with age, then we intentionally remove it; or ignore it, consider it "extra."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home